Facts and History
- WTCI began broadcast on March 4, 1970. On July 1, 1984 ownership of WTCI was given to the Greater Chattanooga Public Television Corporation, a not-for-profit community organization.
- WTCI, the community PBS station, serves Southeast Tennessee, Northeast Alabama, North Georgia and the Western tip of North Carolina as a community licensed public television station, PBS affiliate.
- WTCI is an essential educational resource committed to providing a wide range of learning opportunities to all people. The station serves as a "Ready to Learn" station, providing area educators, caregivers and parents the necessary tools to teach and work with children, 0-8 years, the "view, do and read" technique. Through Ready to Learn services, WTCI provides free workshops to educators, caregivers and parents and over 5,000 of free books to children in our multi-state area.
- WTCI reaches over 424,000 households, and serves a total population of over 1.2 million, according to Nielsen Market Research. It's in the 86th television market.
- WTCI consistently provides the highest quality of educational, informative and entertaining programs without regard for commercial concerns 24 hours each day.
- WTCI has a continuing commitment to children's programs and services that are educational, non-commercial, non-violent and promote self-esteem.
- WTCI transmits across a 60-mile broadcast radius. In addition, 35 cable systems in the four-state region carry the station's signal.
- WTCI, as a community licensee, must raise over half of its $2.2 million budget from the community it serves. This local fundraising is accomplished through the active participation of individual and business members, corporate underwriters, special events and the WTCI annual auctions. In addition, over 500 family members, business leaders, and area organizations serve as WTCI volunteers in such capacities as on-air talent, technical and clerical support. These volunteers and members are a vital part of WTCI's success.
- WTCI broadcast cost is $6,264 per day.
- WTCI is controlled by a Board of Directors consisting of community individuals.
2013-2014 Local Content and Service Report (for 2013 and 2014)